Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Korma Curry Paste

The Lowdown:

Curries are just one of those things that I feel everyone should love. They are full of flavour, extremely versatile, aromatic, and healthy. I'm not claiming to be a curry guru by any means. Maybe just a huge fan that's a borderline stalker. It may be the fact that they are extremely versatile. It may be the aroma that they emit as they slowly simmer. It may be the "set it and forget it" mentality. It may be the inferno from the hot peppers. It may be childhood nostalgia (there were a lot of Indian meals growing up). Or it may even be the ease of making a large batch and freezing it. What ever it is, I adore them.

This variety of curry is a product of Moghul influence in the geographic regions now known as India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh. The word "korma" essentially just means to braise (low and slow baby, low and slow). They are generally milder and sweeter, as opposed to fiery. The addition of nuts and coconut milk make this curry a truly interesting meal.

Curries are often one of those things that annoy me the most in blogging. I absolutely hate it when you click on a blog recipe and one of the ingredients is a packaged curry paste. Using a store bought curry paste in a recipe is like calling a photo of a painting the real deal. Chances are, if you're simply just writing down the instructions from the back of the package it's not worth your time to write (or our time to read). It's rubbish. It makes me so upset that I'm being forced to use British slang. So, if you're stuck in a rut and want a make-ahead meal plan, a homemade curry paste is an excellent way to go.

On a final note, this batch of paste (noted in the photos) is green because I had spinach that was on its last legs. Not wanting to waste it, I ground it into the curry paste. I'm not sure about the legalities of this, but the flavour was excellent.



The Playlist:

3 tbsp Cumin seed, toasted then ground
2 tbsp Turmeric
1 tbsp Coriander seed, ground
1/2 cup Cilantro, loosely chopped
1/4 cup Ginger, pealed & loosely chopped
6 Chili peppers
5 cloves Garlic
1/4 cup Desiccated coconut (dried and flaked)
3 tbsp Garam masala
1/2 cup Cashews, ground
1 cup Vegetable oil (canola)
Pepper, generous amount


The Skinny:

  1. Put the oil, turmeric, cumin, coriander, cilantro, ginger, garlic, tomatoes, garam masala, and pepper into a blender and blend until an oily paste is formed. 
  2. Once a paste consistency is formed slowly add the coconut and cashews. If the blender is labouring too much, you can manually mix these in.
  3. Put 1 cup servings into individual containers and refrigerate for 2-3 days before using. The individual servings that are not used can be frozen (just make sure you don't microwave them to thaw). 
  4. The paste highly concentrated, so I mix 1 cup of the paste with 2-4 cups of broth depending on the desired consistency and what is going into the curry. No oil in the pan is needed, as there is enough in the paste itself.


Stay Rad -h
Featured on: Premeditated Leftovers33 Shades of GreenChef in TrainingFood Renegade

7 comments:

  1. This is wonderful! I've never known where to begin when it comes to making curry paste. I love the spices you have used in this recipe and I like the addition of the spinach too. I'm going to feature this post in my H&S post tomorrow :) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I love about making the paste. I didn't know where to start then I read (skimmed) a book about curries and started from there. I'm sure over the years mine has become a sad rendition, but I enjoy my customized version.

      Delete
  2. My daughter has been bugging me to make a curry with more "zing". It seems mine is too mild for her. I will have to give your recipe a try. I am featuring this on the H&S highlights tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the support :) I just got back on this blog so i'll check out the mention.

      Delete
  3. I love Korma, and curries, in general. I never have made it from scratch and use the Seeds of Change brand for convenience. I'm wondering how much difference there is between homemade and store bought. If it's 'worlds apart', I might give it a go, otherwise, it would be too labor/time intensive for me.

    Alea, Seeds of Change has several different kinds of jarred curry sauce. You might try some on a night you need a break or relative ease. The Korma is very mild. Jack will eat both the Korma and the Tikka Masala (Red). Vitacost usually has them for less than I can get at the grocer (and then, of course, you get cash back :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if they are worlds apart, but it is a good way to experiment with different spices and flavours and costs next to nothing.

      Delete
  4. Urban Rajah seeks to bring friends, family and lovers together through spiced food, specifically Indian;curry recipes. Check out curry blog

    ReplyDelete